Gaelic medium education
Gaelic medium educational provision in Inverclyde schools currently consists of a Gaelic Unit at Whinhill Primary School, Greenock comprising a Gaelic Nursery Class and two Gaelic Primary Classes, P1 - 3 and P4 – 7.
Parents wishing to have their child educated though the Gaelic medium who are not in the Whinhill Primary School catchment area should submit a placing request in the February before the child would start school.
If pupils wish to continue their secondary education in the Gaelic medium parents should submit a placing request application to Glasgow Gaelic School.
Key features of Gaelic medium education
- children are immersed in the Gaelic language all day long
- children use books and materials written in Gaelic
- English language lessons are gradually introduced in Primary 4
- by Primary 7 children are following the full range of subjects in Gaelic and English
- children join the rest of the school for a number of activities
- children take part in a variety of artistic and cultural activities such as the MOD, Inverclyde music festival and drama productions.
Page last updated: 23 February 2017