Scottish Social Security Benefits

Pregnancy & Baby Payments

What is it?

The Pregnancy and Baby Payment is a new grant that has been launched by Social Security Scotland to help families with the cost of having children.

The grant, which can be applied for after the 24th week of pregnancy or before the child reaches the age of 6 months, will pay £600 for the first child, and where someone has twins or multiple births, £300 for every additional child. It will also pay an additional £300 where someone has multiple births.

You can also apply even if it is not your first child and will receive £300 for every additional child. 

Who can apply? 

If you are the child's birth mother you can apply after your 24th week of pregnancy or up to the child reaches the age of six months. If you are not the child's birth mother, you can apply if you live with the child's birth mother and you are part of a couple, married or in a civil partnership with them. 

In order to qualify for a Pregnancy and Baby Payment, you or your partner must be in receipt of one of the following benefits :

  • Child Tax Credit;
  • Universal Credit;
  • Income Support;
  • Pension Credit;
  • Working Tax Credit;
  • Housing Benefit;
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), not 'contribution based' JSA; or
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), not 'contribution based' ESA.

If you are over 18:

If you are over 18, but not older than 19,  you can apply even if you are not in receipt of one of  the above benefits, providing all of the following applies to you:

  • you're going to school or college for at least 12 hours a week - this does not include university;
  • you started your course before you were 19;
  • if you're on a training course, it's a training course that is not arranged by someone you work for; and
  • your parent or carer gets Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit or Universal Credit child payments for you.

If these things apply to you, you'll need to send proof of the course you're on, such as a letter from your school or college. This will need to show:

  • the name of your school or college, or the name of the place that provides your training;
  • the name of your course;
  • your course's start and end dates; and
  • your full name.

Your parent or carer can apply if you do not. When they apply, they'll need to give your details, but they do not need to send any proof of the course you're on. They only need to be getting Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit or Universal Credit child payments for you.

If you are under 18:

If you are under 18, you do not need to be in receipt of any of the above benefits. You can either apply yourself, or someone who is in receipt of Child Benefit, Child Tax Credits or Universal Credit child payments for you can apply on your behalf. 

If you are not the birth mother or her partner:

You can apply if:

  • you're getting Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit or Universal Credit child payments for the baby you want to apply for, or for the baby's birth mother; or
  • you've started looking after a baby under one, such as if you're a kinship carer.

If you adopt, are a kinship carer or have a legal order to look after a child:

You have until the child's first birthday to apply. 

You must be in receipt of for the child:

  • Child Benefit;
  • Child Tax Credits; or
  • Universal Credit child payments.

If you do not get one of these,  you need to have a court order that shows you have taken over the care of the child. 

What you need to apply?

To apply you will need the following:

  • Your name, date of birth and address;
  • If you have a partner, their name and date of birth;
  • your bank, credit union or building society account details - you can be paid the Pregnancy and Baby Payment in the same way you're paid for your other benefits if you do not have one of these accounts - if you want to request this call 0800 182 2222 (freephone, 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday)
  • details of any children you have or care for.

Social Security Scotland can contact Baby Box to confirm the details of your pregnancy.  If you agree to this, you do not need to contact anyone else, or send any forms or documents. Social Security Scotland will do this for you.

You can give your National Insurance number when you apply. If you do not give your National Insurance number to Social Security Scotland it could cause a delay.

If you need help to apply, or you'd prefer to apply by phone, you can call 0800 182 2222.

Funeral Support Payment

What is it?

Funeral Support Payment helps pay for funeral costs if you live in Scotland. You can use the payment towards funeral costs for a baby, child or adult. This includes babies who were stillborn.

It does not usually cover the full cost of the funeral but it should help pay for some costs. It can be paid either to you or the funeral director who's helping you plan the funeral.

Only one person can get Funeral Support Payment for the funeral.

You will not be eligible if you've already had other government support for the funeral, this includes:

  • Funeral Expenses Payment (England or Wales)
  • Funeral Payment (Northern Ireland)
  • your hospital arranging and paying for your baby's funeral if you had a stillbirth

Who can apply and when?

  • You can get a Funeral Support Payment if all of the following apply:

  • you live in Scotland
  • you or your partner are getting certain benefits or tax credits
  • the person who died lived in the UK
  • the funeral is being held in the UK, EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland
  • you are applying after the person has died, until 6 months after the date of their funeral
  • You or your partner are responsible for the funeral (Being responsible for a funeral means you must be both named on the funeral bill and the nearest relation to the person who died. This is usually a partner, child, parent or sibling.

    If you could not apply for the Funeral Support Payment within 6 months of the funeral taking place due to the disruption caused by coronavirus (COVID-19), Social Security Scotland will still accept your application as on time.

Benefits and tax credits you or your partner must get:

You or your partner must get one or more of the following:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit (UC)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit (disability or severe disability element)
  • Housing Benefit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), not contribution-based JSA
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), not contribution-based ESA

If you or your partner are waiting to hear about your application for one of these benefits, you can still apply for Funeral Support Payment.

Social Security Scotland can only let you know if you can get Funeral Support Payment when they know the outcome of your benefit applications.

If you think you should be getting any of these benefits, you can find out more on

Young Carer Grant

What is it?

The Young Carer Grant was introduced on 21 October 2019.  Young Carer Grant is a yearly payment of £305.10 for young carers who live in Scotland. 

Who can apply?

You can get Young Carer Grant if all of these apply:

  • you live in Scotland
  • you're 16, 17 or 18 years old
  • you've been caring for one or more people for around 16 hours a week, at least for for the last 3 months.  Caring can include supporting either the physical or mental health and wellbeing of someone (or both). If you care for more than one person, you can combine the hours of the people you care for to average 16 hours a week.
  • the person or people you care for are getting certain benefits
  • you're not already getting Carer's Allowance

    The person or people you care for must have been getting one or more of these benefits for at least the last 3 months:

  • the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • the middle or highest care rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), including Child Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Constant Attendance Allowance

    You can get Young Carer Grant once a year, up until you turn 19. You'll need to fill in a new form or call us each year you want to apply.

    If you could not apply before your 19th birthday due to the disruption caused by coronavirus (COVID-19), you can still apply. Your application will be viewed as being made on time.

How you spend the Young Carer Grant is up to you. You could use it for things like new clothes, driving lessons or a holiday. You do not need to report what you spend the money on.

If you care for someone for 35 hours or more a week:

You may be able to get Carer's Allowance. You should apply for this once you've been paid Young Carer Grant. You will not be able to get Young Carer Grant if you're already getting Carer's Allowance.

Carer’s Allowance Supplement

What is it?

Carer's Allowance Supplement is an extra payment for people in Scotland who get Carer's Allowance on a particular date.

Carer's Allowance Supplement is paid 2 times a year and from April 2020 the rate will be £230.10 per payment.

The next 2 rounds of payments are:

  • £230.10 from 26 June 2020 - you'll get this payment if you're getting Carer's Allowance on 13 April 2020
  • £230.10 in December 2020 - you'll get this payment if you're getting Carer's Allowance on 12 October 2020

If you're due to get a payment, you'll get a letter from Social Security Scotland before the payment is made.

Disability Living Allowance for Children / Child Disability Payment

Beginning in 2020, payment of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children in Scotland is transferring from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to Social Security Scotland.

A new benefit called Child Disability Payment will replace DLA for children in Scotland. There will be no change to the amount you are paid.

Children and young people in Scotland will continue to get Child Disability Payment until they are 18.

DWP will contact you before your child turns 16.  If your child gets DLA for children you will receive a letter from DWP about 5 months before their 16th birthday.  This will let you know that Social Security Scotland will take over payment of their award in 2020 or 2021.

What you'll need to do

When a young person is 16 they can get their benefit payments directly.

You'll need to let DWP know:

  • how they should get payments if they are to be paid directly
  • if payments should still be made to their parent or guardian if they are not able to manage their own benefits

The letter will let you know how you should give DWP this information.

DWP will continue to make payments until Social Security Scotland take over payments for your child.

You'll get a letter from Social Security Scotland telling you the exact date that this will happen.

If your child is under 15 years old you do not need to do anything unless your child is approaching 16 years old.

Social Security Scotland will write to you when it is time for your payments to be transferred. Until then your payments will continue to be made by DWP as before.

If you want to make a new application for Disability Living Allowance for children visit to find out how to apply for DLA for children.

DLA for children provides money for the extra costs of looking after a child with a disability.