Coronavirus (Covid-19) Tenant Grant Fund
The Scottish Government’s Tenant Grant Fund provides financial help to tenants in social housing and in the private rented sector who are at risk of becoming homeless because they have fallen behind with rent payments as a direct result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The fund enables local authorities to prevent homelessness and sustain tenancies by directly reducing, alleviating or paying off rent arrears altogether. The grant covers arrears accumulated during the period 23rd March 2020 until 9th August 2021. Arrears of up to a maximum of 12 months can be considered. Any arrears accrued before 23rd March 2020 and after 9th August 2021, cannot be covered by this grant. The grants do not have to be repaid and are available to tenants in housing association and privately rented accommodation.
Grants are being administered by local authorities and Inverclyde Council has received an allocation of £93,000 which is available until 31st March 2022. Applications will be accepted from 17th November 2021.
The scheme is designed to be flexible but there is an eligibility criteria set by the Scottish Government:
- The grants are limited to helping with rent arrears that built-up between 23rd March 2020 and 9th August 2021 to a maximum of 12 months within this period.
- Grants can cover full or partial rent arrears depending on individual circumstances.
- Grants will be targeted towards current tenants who are most at risk of becoming homeless, in circumstances where tenancies can be saved through such intervention.
- Private sector landlords must be registered on the Scottish Landlord Register
- Landlords must have carried out steps to resolve the situation in line with pre-action requirements.
- Payments will be made to landlords rather than tenants on the strict condition that the payment will be used to credit the tenant's rent account and ongoing proceedings to end the tenancy will be ceased.
Our aim is to ensure funding is targeted towards supporting households who are at the greatest risk of becoming homeless. Income maximisation support will be offered with the aim of reducing the level of debt and to help with ongoing rent payments.
How to apply
If you are a tenant please call 01475 715870 and ask about the Tenant Grant Fund or email Homelessness.Services@inverclyde.gov.uk
Landlords, letting agents or third sector organisations should email requests to Homelessness.Services@inverclyde.gov.uk
If you have an enquiry regarding the Tenant Grant Fund please email us at Homelessness.Services@inverclyde.gov.uk