Backdated benefit can only be paid where you have been able to show that there is ‘continuous good cause’ for failing to make your claim at the appropriate time.

If you think you have ‘good cause’ for your Housing Benefit to be awarded from an earlier date, you will need to:

  • Put your backdating request in writing and send it to us
  • Explain the reason for the delay in making your claim

People of working age can request a backdate of no more than 1 month.  Make your backdate request on the application form at the same time as you make a claim for Housing Benefit or you can write within one calendar month of the decision on your claim and ask us to look at your reasons.

We will automatically consider a backdate request of up to 3 months for those who have reached pension credit age.  This will only go back as far as the date you reached pension credit age, the date you became liable for the rent or 3 months, whichever is the shorter.

Page last updated: 21 November 2016