Resolving complaints

You must try to resolve any complaint directly with the trader - it's only fair.

Making a complaint

If you are unhappy with any work carried out by a member of the scheme, then you should first try to resolve your complaints through discussion with them.  Make sure that you give the details of any complaint in writing to the other party.

If the complaint remains unresolved

Either party may contact Trading Standards with details of the complaint.  Trading Standards will respond to both parties within five working days. Trading Standards will consider the complaint, and where appropriate provide a recommendation to resolve the dispute.  Member firms agree to communicate fully with Trading Standards staff throughout this process.

Independent ombudsman review

Any dispute which cannot be resolved by the above process, can be referred to Ombudsman Services at the discretion of Inverclyde Council. Ombudsman Services provide an independent, impartial, and cost effective means to resolve disputes outwith the courts.  Disputes which are referred to Ombudsman Services will be dealt with according to their procedures. More information can be found at  Decisions of Ombudsman Services are binding on members.

Independent experts

If at any time, the consultation of an independent expert is required, for example for inspection or testing, agreement will be sought from both parties about the arrangement of such a consultation including payment.

Alternative dispute resolution 

If the trader is a member of a trade association or other body which has its own code of practice and alternative dispute resolution process, then complaints may be referred to that service for independent adjudication and the Trusted Trader scheme dispute resolution process will not be invoked.