Civic Life

Ceremonial level and plummet in purple satin and velvet lined box, used in the laying of the foundation stone of the Municipal Buildings, Greenock on 6 August 1881. - 1991.49 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock The trowel plate is inscribed 'This trowel presented to Provost Campbell by the Magistrates and Town Council of Greenock on the occasion of his laying the foundation stone of the municipal buildings 6th August 1881' - 1991.51 © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock. Ceremonial carved wooden mallet inlaid with silver bosses in a tower design. Used in the laying of the foundation stone of the Municipal Buildings, Greenock on 6 August 1881. - 1991.50 © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock. Ceremonial silver key inscribed 'Presented to Miss Rankin by the Corporation of Greenock on the occasion of the opening of the Rankin Memorial Hospitals 17th August, 1938' - 1996.5 © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock. Invitation to a Grand Fancy Dress Ball from The Provost and Mrs. Denholm to Miss Bessie Donald to take part in a children's Grand Fancy Dress Ball in the Municipal Buildings, Greenock on Thursday 28th Dec., 1905. Reception from 6.15 to 7pm in the Town Hall. - 2006.32 © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock. Burgh of Gourock Corporation Chain for a Senior Bailie - 1976.80.13 ©McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock. Three rubber stamps used by the Burgh of Greenock (1635-1975), one bearing the of Greenock Coat of Arms and the other two used in balloting procedures. - 1990.87.1-.3 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock. The town drum was used at the head of processsions (for example the opening of the new slaughterhouse) and to 'drum out of town' malefactors of various sorts, as in the case of John Smith, a vagrant, who was put on display with a sign 'Here I stand for stealing candles' and then drummed out of town - 1980.3 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Commemorative medal issued for the coronation of King Edward VII on the 9 August 1902. Issued to local schools by Greenock Burgh - 1980.11 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Card showing the pay rates for the Greenock Burgh Police, dated 1902 and inscribed 'Constable No.97'. - 1985.16 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock An official Burgh of Greenock Beggar's Badge, dated 1797-1803, issued to official beggar no.50. The badge is decorated with an image of an oak tree and inscribed 'Town of Greenock 50'. - 1977.284 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock This watercolour work was probably produced for the architect's firm of Bourcher & Cousland, and shows an artist's impression of the new Port Glasgow Town Hall (opened in 1872) by an unknown artist. - 2012.49.2 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Invitation to a Garden Party by Mr & Mrs William Bentley McMillan, the party to be held at Cappielow Park, Greenock on Saturday, 23rd June, 1906 2.30 to 6 p.m. - 2006.35 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Welcome Home card issued by the Burgh of Greenock to returning forces in 1945. - 2006.261 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock

The Social History collection contains contains a wide range of material relating to the development of Inverclyde's civic and political history.

The collection covers items related to the governing of Greenock, Gourock and Port Glasgow and the surrounding villages such as Wemyss Bay, Inverkip and Kilmacolm. It charts the development of Inverclyde and includes projects and events such as the various Improvement Schemes. The collection reflects local civic and municipal responsibility for the provision of a wide range of public services such as policing, fire brigade, trading standards, transport, water supply and sewerage, housing, public health and public utilities.

The relatively early development and industrialisation of the Inverclyde meant that the burghs of Greenock and Port Glasgow were amongst the first towns in Scotland in creating and developing the ideas and practice of municipal governance in the industrial era. In conjunction with the Watt Library Archives it illustrates the development of the Inverclyde area as a civic authority from the late eighteenth century.

The text and images on this page are the copyright of the McLean Museum and Art Gallery. For enquiries about this collection please contact the Inverclyde Heritage Hub at heritagehub@inverclyde.gov.uk.

See thousands of catalogue records and images on our Collections Online website! Use the link on the left off this page to take you there.

Page last updated: 20 December 2018