Old Gourock

Shore Street and the Gamble Institute, Gourock - Postcard posted on the 2nd December 1915 - WL5019 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock The Glen, Gourock - Colour lithograph postcard posted on 29 July 1919 - WL4177 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Gourock from Tower Hill looking towards Kilcreggan - Postcard posted on 9 April 1915 - WL4171 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Gourock Pier - This bromide print is of uncertain date but is probably from the 1880s or earlier. - WL3153 -  © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Cove Road esplanade, Gourock - Postcard posted on 13 August 1909 - WL2854 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock East Bay from the Hill, Gourock - This photograph shows the view towards Greenock. The date is uncertain but the picture was taken by Samuel Poulton (1819-1898) - WL2851 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Gourock from Lyle Road, Cardwell Bay - Postcard posted on 29 August 1903 - WL1564 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock View from Castle Hill, Gourock - Postcard - 1905 - WL1208 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Granny Kempock Stone, Gourock - Postcard posted on 23 June 1903 - WL1091 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Gourock from the Lyle Hill - Colour lithograph postcard posted on 13 June 1910 - WL1029 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Cardwell Bay, Gourock circa 1880. This view shows the old timber ponds before the arrival of the railway. - P4101 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Old Quay Head, Gourock in 1881. - P2904 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock The Pier Head, Gourock in 1880. - Photograph on paper - P106.1 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock East Bay from the Hill, Gourock in 1890. - Photograph on paper by Samuel Poulton (1819-1898) - P111 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Cloch Road, Ashton looking East in the 1920s. - Photograph on paper - 2009.98.34 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Albert Road, Gourock looking East - 1920s - Photograph on paper - 2009.98.33 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Kempock Street at Gourock Pierhead looking East. - 1920s - Photograph on paper - 2009.98.32 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Shore Street, Gourock with the new Municipal Buildings on the left. - 1920s - Photograph on paper - 2009.98.31  - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Cardwell Road, Gourock looking East. - 1920s - Photograph on paper - 2009.98.30 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Cardwell Road, Gourock looking West. - 1920s - Photograph on paper - 2009.98.29 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock Kempock Street, Gourock - colour lithograph postcard posted on 23 July 1908 - 1996.80.25 - © McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock

The photographs and postcards of old Gourock from 1880 until 1920 record a crucial period in the development of the town. It originally came into being as a fishing village in the eighteenth century and then, with the arrival of the steamboat at the start the nineteenth century, into a port for catching steamers to the Highlands and the West coast. The arrival of the new railway terminal in June 1889 resulted in a considerable increase of visitors to the town as the railway enabled thousands of day trippers to visit. The period also resulted in an expansion of the town as the railway turned the town into a practical place of residence for those working in Glasgow.

The best known monument in the area is Granny Kempock's Stone, a block of megalithic schist, which has many legends attached to it. It was said that couples would walk round the stone to ensure good fortune and mariners would visit the stone for a safe journey. The darker side of the stone's history can be seen in a witch trial of 1662, when it was alleged that the defendants had danced round the stone on the sabbath.

See thousands of images and records from the collections of the McLean Museum and Inverclyde Archives on our Collections Online website. Use the link on the left of this page to take you there.

Page last updated: 16 April 2018