Status Discounts

The Council Tax assumes that there are two adults living in a dwelling. The charge can be reduced by 25% if only one person occupies the property. Certain people can be disregarded for Council Tax purposes. The disregard discount classes are shown below.


An apprentice is employed to learn a job and, as part of that learning, is undertaking training leading to a qualification recognised by the National Council for Vocational Qualifications. You must be paid a maximum of £195 per week and expect to earn substantially more when you qualify.

Carer (A) (in the home) OR Carer (B)

(A) If you live with, and care for, a person with a disability who is receiving one of certain allowances or disablement pensions, you must be providing care for at least 35 hours a week on average. But you will not qualify if you are caring for your husband or wife (or partner with whom you live as husband and wife), or your child under 18 years old.

(B) Someone who cares for an elderly person or a person with a disability, in return for payment of up to £36 a week will not be counted. Such a person will usually belong to an organisation like Community Service Volunteers, but could be employed by a public body or (in certain circumstances) by the person for whom they care and will reside in the premises provided for the performance of their duties.

18,19 year olds and school leavers

If you are 18 or 19 years old and are in full-time education (other than higher education). This includes people of that age who are at school or college and are on a course up to, and including A level standard. You will also not be counted if you are at least 18 years old and someone is entitled to child benefit in respect of you, or would be if you were not in local authority care. If you are an 18 or 19 year old who left school after 30 April you will not be counted until 1 November of the same year. (You may continue not to be counted as a student if you go on to further or higher education).

Residential Care/Nursing Home

You will not be counted if you live, and are receiving care, in one of these homes, as long as it is your only or main residence.


You will not be counted if you are a patient in a hospital which is your only or main home. If you are in hospital for a short time and you have a home elsewhere, you will go on paying Council Tax at your home.


Some dwellings such as short stay hostels or night shelters provide communal accommodation for people who have no fixed abode and no settled way of life. These may include hostels run by the Salvation Army or Church Army. Anyone whose main or only accommodation is in this type of dwelling will not be counted.

Student Nurses

You will not be counted if you are a student nurse on a course leading to registration on any of Parts 1 to 6, 8,10 or 11 of the Nursing Register. Only student nurses studying for their first inclusion on the Register will not be counted. Nurses who are already on the Register but are taking further courses will be counted. Student nurses studying academic courses at universities or polytechnics, or who are on Project 2000 courses, are excluded from this definition as they are considered as students.


Prisoners who are on remand or in prison will not be counted. However, people who are imprisoned for not paying a fine or the Council Tax will be counted.

Members of Religious Communities

You will not be counted if you are a member of a religious community, provided that you depend on the community for your material needs and have no personal income or capital. (This will still apply if you receive income from a pension or pensions from a former job). Only members of religious communities whose main work is prayer, contemplation, the relief of suffering, education or any combination of these will not be counted.

Severely Mentally Impaired

For Council Tax purposes, a person may be disregarded if he/she suffers, for whatever reason, from a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent. This will usually include people suffering from Alzheimer's disease and other similar illnesses. A person will need a certificate from his/her doctor to say that he/she meets the qualifying criteria. The person must also be entitled to one of a number of benefits including certain invalidity pensions, disability allowances, unemployment allowances or attendance allowances.


You will not be counted if you are a student (which includes an overseas student) on a full-time course of education or on a qualifying course of education. You are considered to be a student if you are:

  • Attending a university, polytechnic or college course which lasts for at least an academic year, takes at least 24 weeks a year and involves at least 21 hours of study per week during term time; or
  • Under the age of 20 and studying for more than three months and at least 12 hours per week for any qualification up to A level, ONC or OND standard. Correspondence courses, evening classes or courses taken in connection with a person's job, such as on day release, are not included.
  • Student nurses studying academic courses at universities or polytechnics, or who are on Project 2000 courses, will be considered as students for Council Tax purposes.
  • Foreign language assistants registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges will also be considered students.

Members of International Headquarters or Defence Organisations

Members of International Headquarters or Defence Organisations and their dependants may be disregarded.

Note: From 1st April 2006, where a property is not the sole or main residence of any person, discount will not be granted in respect of any water and/or sewerage charges.

If you would like to apply for a discount please use the discount form provided or telephone  01475 712961 for more information.