Dog fouling

How to report dog fouling

If you have witnessed offences being committed or are experiencing regular difficulties with people allowing their dogs to foul in your neighbourhood, you can contact the Customer Service Centre, in confidence, for advice and assistance using the details available in the Contacts section of this page.

Alternatively you can use the online reporting form or download the Inverclyde Online app, which allows residents and visitors to request services and report a variety of issues to the Council.  The links to both of these are available on the Related Links section of this page.

Information on how Inverclyde Council processes your personal information and guards your privacy is available by following the 'Privacy' link at the bottom of this page.

Dog fouling enforcement

It is an offence for any person in charge of a dog to fail to immediately remove and dispose of appropriately any excrement after a dog has fouled without reasonable excuse or the consent of the landowner. This applies to all land to which the public have access whether owned by the local authority or not. Also in the common areas of shared property e.g. back court areas in tenements.

Dog fouling sign 3

Reasonable excuses do not include not having anything with which to lift the excrement or not being aware of the dog having fouled. Reasonable excuse relates only to physical impairment or where the person in charge of the dog would be exposed to danger as a result of trying to gain access to where the dog had fouled.

Inverclyde Council's Environmental and Public Protection Service has a number of Enforcement Officers who, as part of their other duties, have and will issue Fixed Penalty Notices of £80 to offenders (rising to £100 if not paid after 28 days). Offenders should note that a further offence would be committed if they refuse to provide their name and address to a designated officer for the purpose of issuing a fixed penalty notice or if they then fail to pick up the faeces.

Dog warden service

The Environmental and Public Protection Service also provides a dog warden service to uplift stray dogs from public areas. If the dogs have a microchip or identification disc they are returned to the owner only on the first occasion they are stray, otherwise they are taken to the SSPCA facility at Cardonald from where they can be re-claimed by the owner ( after the payment of fees) or rehomed.

If you have lost your dog, please contact us. We can advise you if the dog has been picked up and has been taken to Cardonald. You should also contact the local police.
Dangerous dogs should be referred to the police and injured dogs to the SSPCA.

Dog fouling enforcement data

Information on dog fouling enforcement for the past 5 financial years is available to download from this page.  Please note this dataset is updated on a quarterly basis and will only be accurate to the date of publication, which is marked on the report.


Page last updated: 8 May 2019