Pregnancy and Baby Payments

Pregnancy and Baby Payments are a new benefit targeted at helping families with the cost of having children.

What is it?

The Pregnancy and Baby Payment is a new grant that has been launched by Social Security Scotland to help families with the cost of having children.

The grant, which can be applied for after the 24th week of pregnancy or before the child reaches the age of 6 months, will pay £600 for the first child, and where someone has twins or multiple births, £300 for every additional child. It will also pay an additional £300 where someone has multiple births.

You can also apply even if it is not your first child and will receive £300 for every additional child. 

Who can apply? 

If you are the child's birth mother you can apply after your 24th week of pregnancy or up to the child reaches the age of six months. If you are not the child's birth mother, you can apply if you live with the child's birth mother and you are part of a couple, married or in a civil partnership with them. 

In order to qualify for a Pregnancy and Baby Payment, you or your partner must be in receipt of one of the following benefits :

  • Child Tax Credit;
  • Universal Credit;
  • Income Support;
  • Pension Credit;
  • Working Tax Credit;
  • Housing Benefit;
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), not 'contribution based' JSA; or
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), not 'contribution based' ESA.

If you are over 18

If you are over 18, but not older than 19,  you can apply even if you are not in receipt of one of  the above benefits, providing all of the following applies to you:

  • you're going to school or college for at least 12 hours a week - this does not include university;
  • you started your course before you were 19;
  • if you're on a training course, it's a training course that is not arranged by someone you work for; and
  • your parent or carer gets Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit or Universal Credit child payments for you.

If these things apply to you, you'll need to send proof of the course you're on, such as a letter from your school or college. This will need to show:

  • the name of your school or college, or the name of the place that provides your training;
  • the name of your course;
  • your course's start and end dates; and
  • your full name.

Your parent or carer can apply if you do not. When they apply, they'll need to give your details, but they do not need to send any proof of the course you're on. They only need to be getting Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit or Universal Credit child payments for you.

If you are under 18

If you are under 18, you do not need to be in receipt of any of the above benefits. You can either apply yourself, or someone who is in receipt of Child Benefit, Child Tax Credits or Universal Credit child payments for you can apply on your behalf. 

If you are not the birth mother or her partner

You can apply if:

  • you're getting Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit or Universal Credit child payments for the baby you want to apply for, or for the baby's birth mother; or
  • you've started looking after a baby under one, such as if you're a kinship carer.

If you adopt, are a kinship carer or have a legal order to look after a child

You have until the child's first birthday to apply. 

You must be in receipt of for the child:

  • Child Benefit;
  • Child Tax Credits; or
  • Universal Credit child payments.

If you do not get one of these,  you need to have a court order that shows you have taken over the care of the child. 

What you need to apply

To apply you will need the following:

  • Your name, date of birth and address;
  • If you have a partner, their name and date of birth;
  • your bank, credit union or building society account details - you can be paid the Pregnancy and Baby Payment in the same way you're paid for your other benefits if you do not have one of these accounts - if you want to request this call 0800 182 2222 (freephone, 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday)
  • details of any children you have or care for.

Social Security Scotland can contact Baby Box to confirm the details of your pregnancy.  If you agree to this, you do not need to contact anyone else, or send any forms or documents. Social Security Scotland will do this for you.

You can give your National Insurance number when you apply. If you do not give your National Insurance number to Social Security Scotland it could cause a delay.

If you need help to apply, or you'd prefer to apply by phone, you can call 0800 182 2222.


Page last updated: 17 December 2018