Service Personnel, Reservists and Veterans


Inverclyde Council signed the Armed Forces Community Covenant in March 2012 and is committed to improving access to council services for veterans, service personnel, reservists and their families.

By making themselves known as being part of the service personnel community, customers can be referred by the Customer Service Centre for specific support and advice.

  • Call Customer Services on: 01475 717171

Listed below are organisations that support the service personnel community and can be contacted directly.

All organisations provide free, confidential, impartial advice and support. They work closely with many organisations, service related charities and voluntary organisations.

Veterans Welfare Service (Ministry of Defence) helps ensure members of the Armed Forces and veterans receive their full entitlement to pensions, welfare and support services 

  • Call the helpline on 0808 1914 218
  • Call the Scottish centre on 0141 224 2709

Veterans UK Helpline has a dedicated Bereavement Line (0800 169 3458) to provide an improved service for the families of loved ones reporting a loss.

Out of Hours Option - When the Veterans-UK helpline is closed callers can opt to be routed to the Combat Stress or the Samaritans 24hrs help lines.

  • Visit the Veterans Welfare Service website for more information (can be found in the external links section of this page)

Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) provide practical, emotional and financial support to anyone who is serving or has ever served and their families.

  • Call the helpline on 0845 241 7141
  • Visit the SSAFA website for more information (can be found in the external links section of this page)

Scottish War Blinded provides free support to all visually impaired veterans, no matter whether they lost their sight during or after service.

  • Visit the Scottish War Blinded website for more information (can be found in the External Links section of this page)

Have you claimed your pension?

If you have served in the armed forces you may be entitled to a compensation payment or pension if you were injured at any point during your career. The Customer Service Centre can refer you to the Veterans Welfare Service who will check this for you and if your condition has deteriorated they can verify that the correct amounts of disablement payments are in place.

Furthermore, if you have reached the age of 60 years and you served more than 2 years you may be entitled to a service pension.  You can get advice about how to apply for this.

Call Customer Services on: 01475 717171