Greenock Coin Hoard
On the 19th May 1955, three men were engaged in digging a trench for a sewer between Burns Road and Minerva Lane, Braeside, Greenock when they found an ancient cow horn around 10 inches long containing about 60 coins at a depth of four feet below the surface.
The horn disintegrated, and a few of the coins were destroyed or given to children and could not be traced. The 50 coins left were forwarded by the Procurator Fiscal for examination. They were all Scottish. Some 20 of the coins were retained by the Royal Scottish Museum, Edinburgh for their collections. The remaining 30 became part of the collections of the McLean Museum's collections.
Most of the coins were struck between 1543 and 1559 in the reign of Queen Mary. The hoard also contained testoons and coins from the reign of James VI. It is believed that the hoard was buried sometime in the mid 1570s.