Important Information About Council Tax

Manage Your Council Tax Online

You can manage your council tax online at


Council Tax Levels and Scottish Water Charges

Council Tax levels, information about Cost of Living Awards and important information about other services is found in the Documents section of this page.  Information about the Scottish Water charge included on your bill is found in the Other Websites section.    


How to Pay

DIRECT DEBIT: Payments will be requested as detailed on your latest Council Tax notice.  If you do not already pay by direct debit and wish to do so please telephone 01475 712961 and an advisor will take you through the process or alternatively download a direct debit mandate at

ON-LINE PAYMENTS: Payment can be made online at

BARCODED BILL: You can pay using your barcoded bill at any Post Office, any shop that displays the PayPoint logo or at the Customer Service Centre, Clyde Square, Greenock.

PAYMENT CARD: If you have not chosen to pay by Direct Debit you can request a payment card.  You can pay using your payment card at any Post Office, any shop that displays the PayPoint logo or at the Customer Service Centre, Clyde Square, Greenock.  Payment should not be delayed pending receipt of a payment card.

POSTAL PAYMENTS: Send your payments to Inverclyde Council, P O Box 9467, Greenock, PA15 1JD. Please quote your reference number. This can be found on your latest Council Tax notice.

TELEPHONE PAYMENTS: Payment can be made by debit or credit card by phoning the automated payment line on 0845 309 6062 (24 hours) or 01475 712590 (office hours).


Council Tax Enquiries 

By Email:

By Telephone: 01475 712961

In Writing: Finance Services, P O Box 9467, Greenock, PA15 1JD


Council Tax Reduction Applications/Enquiries

By Email:

By Telephone: 0800 013 1375

Council Tax and Council Tax Reduction Enquiries can be made in person at our Customer Service Centre,  Clyde Square, Greenock

Hours of Opening are:  Monday - Thursday 9.00am to 4.30pm, Friday 9.00am to 3.45pm.

Council Tax Appeals – You can appeal to the Revenues & Customer Services manager if you disagree with a decision to hold you liable to pay Council Tax or the calculation of your bill.  If you remain dissatisfied, or do not receive a response within 2 months, you have a right of appeal to the Valuation Appeal Committee (VAC).  Your appeal to the VAC must be made within 4 months of the date of your original appeal.

Council Tax Band Appeals – If you have an enquiry or wish to appeal against the Valuation banding shown on your bill, please contact the Renfrewshire Valuation Joint Board, The Robertson Centre, 16 Glasgow Road, Paisley, PA1 3QF or telephone 0300 300 0150.  For more information about banding and appeal rights, log onto

For general information about council tax, including what exemptions, discounts and reductions are available please visit our website at

Council Tax Reduction Information

Council Tax Reduction

The Council Tax Benefit scheme ended on 31 March 2013 and was replaced by Council Tax Reduction.  Up to 100% reduction (excluding water & sewerage charges) is available to anyone on a low income who is liable to pay Council Tax. Your Council Tax Reduction is calculated based on the information we hold about you for Council Tax Benefit.  If you wish to see how your Council Tax Reduction has been calculated please contact us on 0800 013 1375 or email


If you have been awarded Council Tax Reduction and you disagree with the amount, you should request a review stating the reasons why you think your award is incorrect within two months of the date of this bill by writing to:  The Corporate Director, Environment, Regeneration & Resources, Municipal Buildings, Clyde Square, Greenock, PA15 1LY

Alternative Reduction

A Reduction of up to 25% of the Council Tax may be applied for in respect of people who live with you (other than your partner or lodger) and whose gross weekly income is less than £273 per week.  Your own financial circumstances are not taken into account.

Reduction Start Date

If you qualify, Council Tax Reduction normally starts from the date you apply.

Change of Circumstances

You must notify the Council in writing of any changes to your circumstances that may affect your entitlement to Council Tax Reduction, for example if your income changes, if you increase your hours at work, if someone moves into your home.

The Local Government Finance Act 1992 (Section 97) 



Failure to pay the amount shown on the Reminder within 7 days will result in the loss of the right to pay the remainder of the account in instalments.  THE FULL OUTSTANDING BALANCE WILL BECOME DUE AND PAYABLE IMMEDIATELY.  Application will be made for a SUMMARY WARRANT to recover the full outstanding balance together with a STATUTORY ADDITION of 10%.

If you pay the amount shown on the Reminder within the 7 day period you should note that YOU ARE ENTITLED TO ONLY 2 REMINDERS IN ANY FINANCIAL YEAR. (i.e. from the 1st  of April to the following 31st March)

Where 2 Reminders have been issued during a financial year and a further instalment is unpaid, then without further notification, application will be made for a SUMMARY WARRANT to recover the full outstanding balance together with a STATUTORY ADDITION of 10%.