Parental involvement in Inverclyde
Research shows that when parents are involved, children do better and achieve more. Parents, carers and family members are by far the most important influences on their children's lives. By becoming involved in the life of your child's school you can show your child that their education is important to you.
The benefits for children are:
- It is easier for children to learn when they get encouragement at home
- They will do better and achieve more when their parents are involved
- Children get access to more activities in and out of school when there are more adults to help
- Their concerns can be sorted out quicker when their parents have a positive relationship with school staff
- They are happy when their parents are enjoying events in the school.
When children see their parents or other family members getting involved in the school, it:
- Shows them that you are interested in what the school is doing
- Lets them see that you value what they are learning
- Gives them a sense of security
- Helps them learn about good citizenship from your example.
The benefits for parents are:
- Their children do better when they are involved
- They are better able to help and encourage their children
- They have more information about their children’s education
- Parents can build their own confidence and skills
- Where there is a positive relationship between parents and their child’s school are benefits all round
- Parents get reassurance that their children are receiving a good education.
Parents will also:
- Get to know the teachers and other parents
- Gain a better understanding of how the school works
- See how their child relates to other children and teachers
- Be setting a good example to young people
- Have the satisfaction of knowing that they are making a contribution to the school and to their and other children's learning.
The benefits for schools are:
- Parents bring skills which complement teachers’ skills and expertise
- Parents contribute their time, so together parents and teachers are able to do more activities with pupils than teachers can do on their own
- Pupils' attainment and behaviour improve
- Parents have ideas about how the school can best support the children
- Teachers have people with whom they can talk over ideas and get help when developing plans for the school
- Parents can give advice and help around reaching other parents.
- The school will develop a better understanding of parents and the community.
The benefits for Inverclyde Council Education Department are:
- The ideas and experience of a wider pool of people lead to a better strategy which will support participation for more parents
- The education authority gets information on how its policies and education provision are working out in practice
- The education authority is able to discuss plans and ideas for education developments with a wide range of parents
- Parents who are involved in other representative groups help make sure the education policies link in well with the other policies and provision for people living in that area.
Your child's school will have certain procedures to follow for involving parents in school activities. Contact the school for more details.
Mansfield Traquair Centre, 15 Mansfield Place, EDINBUGH, EH3 6BB
Tel - 01314746199
Page last updated: 30 July 2018