Noise Nuisance

Complaints about excessive noise will be investigated and action taken if the noise is considered to be a statutory nuisance.

All Local Authorities have a duty to investigate and control noise nuisance within their area.  Within Inverclyde Council this role is carried out by the Environmental Protection Team which is part of Environmental and Public Protection Service.

Officers from this Service investigate various noise types, for example, noise from commercial or domestic premises, construction works, entertainment or industrial noise.

How to report noise nuisance

If you are experiencing issues with noise nuisance you can contact the Customer Service Centre, in confidence, for advice and assistance using the details available in the Contacts section of this page.

Information on how Inverclyde Council processes your personal information and guards your privacy is available by following the 'Privacy' link at the bottom of this page.

Noise nuisance enforcement

We have powers to serve notice, seize equipment and in extreme cases prosecute when statutory nuisance is identified and cannot be resolved informally.

In order to meet our responsibilities regarding noise we:

  • Liaise with the Council’s licensing section regarding entertainment noise
  • Use statutory powers to control construction/demolition noise on building sites
  • Investigate complaints regarding both domestic and commercial/industrial noise
  • Control noise nuisance by the service of notices
  • Work with the Council’s Planning Service to impose conditions which will prevent nuisance arising

The Environmental Protection Team work in partnership with the Social Protection Team in providing in an Out of Hours Service which allows us to visit complaints out with office hours.  Other partnership links exist with the Problem Solving Unit, the Community Wardens and Police Scotland in order to provide a joint approach towards reducing anti-social behaviour.

Inverclyde Council also offer a community mediation service with trained mediators who can help find practical solutions to disputes over noise and other issues. To find out more about this service please follow the link on this page.

If you would like any further advice or assistance then please contact the Customer Service Centre to speak to a member of the Environmental Protection Team.

Click on the links below for more information on specific noise issues.

Page last updated: 23 October 2019