Getting Married

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage.

In Scotland you can be married by a religious or belief ceremony or a civil ceremony:

  • A religious or belief marriage may take place anywhere and may be solemnised only by a minister, clergyman, priest or other person approved to do so under the Marriage (Scotland) Act 1977.
  • A civil marriage can take place in a registration office or at any place agreed between the registration authority and the couple.  This can only be solemnised by a Registrar or Assistant Registrar.

What documents to I need to complete and provide?

Both parties to the marriage are required to complete and sign marriage notices (M10s) and submit to the Registration Office where the marriage is taking place. 

The Marriage Notice is valid for a maximum period of 3 months and the notices must be submitted at least 29 days before the date of the proposed marriage.   The leaflet Marriage in Scotland (RM1) gives more guidance to marrying in Scotland

Witness Forms will need to be completed by the two people you have chosen to act as witnesses to your marriage.

The Marriage in Scotland (RM1) document and the supplementary evidence document provides the evidence you require to submit in support of your application.

All forms and guidance can be found in the documents section of this page.