Registering a Birth
Congratulations on the birth of your baby.
The Customer service centres remains closed to the public so you will only be allowed access at your appointment time, please do not come too early as you will be asked to wait outside. The appointment will be no more than 30 minutes.
Please note that only a parent, both parents or the guardian of the baby can attend the scheduled appointment, please don't bring other people with you.
Parents of new-borns are still be able to claim Child Benefit despite the outbreak of coronavirus. First time parents should fill in Child Benefit Claim form CH2 by using the external link on this page. If you haven't been able to register the birth because of COVID - 19 you should add a note to the claim to let them know.
If the birth took place outwith Scotland it must be registered in the country the birth took place.
You can call our office on 01475 714250 for any enquiries.
Who can register a birth?
- If the parents of the child are married to each other or in a registered civil partnership either can register the birth
- If they childs parents are not married to each other or in a registered civil partnership with each other, the mother must register the birth. If you want both parents names included on the birth certificate then both parents should attend to register the birth. If this is not possible please contact the Registration Office for further advice.
Where should a birth be registered ?
A birth may be registered at any registration office in Scotland, providing the birth occurred in Scotland.
What documents do I need to bring to the registration?
- Birth registration card issued by the hospital or doctor
- Copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable and available)
What documents do I receive?
- An abbreviated birth certificate free of charge
- A full birth certificate can be purchased for a statutory fee.
- A form EC58 to register your child with a doctor.
How do I pay?
At this time payment must be by debit/credit card. No cash can be accepted.
What if I am late to my appointment?
If you're late for your appointment, it may have to be rescheduled if we can't fit you in.