Registering a Birth

Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

Any child born in Scotland must be registered within 21 days.  If the birth took place outwith Scotland it must be registered in the country the birth took place.

Inverclyde Registration Office is run on an appointment system.

How do I make an appointment?

You can call our office on 01475 714250 or visit the office:

Customer Service Centre
Municpal Buildings
Clyde Square
PA15 1LY

Who can register a birth?

  • If the parents of the child are married to each other or in a registered civil partnership either can register the birth
  • If they childs parents are not married to each other or in a registered civil partnership with each other, the mother must register the birth.  If you want both parents names included on the birth certificate then both parents should attend to register the birth.  If this is not possible please contact the Registration Office for further advice. 

Where should a birth be registered ?

A birth may be registered at any registration office in Scotland, providing the birth occurred in Scotland.

What documents do I need to bring to the registration?

  • Birth registration card issued by the hospital or doctor
  • Copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable and available)

What documents do I receive?

  • An abbreviated birth certificate free of charge
  • A full birth certificate can be purchased for a statutory fee.
  • A form EC58 to register your child with a doctor.

How do I pay?

The preferred method of payment is debit/credit card.  Registration staff are unable to accept cash payments; however you will be able to pay at the general cash collection area within the main office.  Cash payments cannot be made on Wednesdays before 11am.

What if I am late to my appointment?

If you are late for your appointment it may have to be rescheduled if we are unable to accomodate you.

Page last updated: 16 October 2019