Inverclyde Children and Families teams are based in Health Centres across Inverclyde. The teams include a variety of staff groups including Health Visitors and the team working with pre 5 children, the Child Smile team also working with pre-school children and the School Health team working with children from Primary one to school leaving.
All teams aim to provide a universal service to all babies and children and a more targeted approach to children who have additional needs or requirements. Child protection and the wider role of protecting and supporting all children and young people are paramount to all staff within the teams. The teams have active links and liaison with health colleagues, social work colleagues, Education staff and voluntary agencies. Our key partners however are the children, young people and their families / carers.
The Health Visiting service we provide includes:
- screening and surveillance
- reviews and follow up work
- health promotion
- supporting families
- children and young people to make healthy lifestyle choices
- parenting support (Triple P)
- referral to other services
Advice and support to clients is a key role for all staff. Individual and group work is covered at home, clinics, schools and other venues. All babies and young children have a named Health Visitor who is aligned to a GP practice and all school age children and young people have a named school nurse.
Children and family teams are directed and work within many policies, guidance documents with national and local developments and directives including:
- the ‘Healthy Child Programme’
- Getting it right for Every Child (GIRFEC) - the letter under Documents on this page details the principles of this
- EMIS (electronic health recording system)
- school nurse review and development planning
- NMC revalidation process
There are clear governance systems in place and whilst clearly part of the HSCP, are also a part of NHS GG&C.
There are 58 staff members within the Children and Family teams and a number of administrative and clerical staff. Key contact within the team for further information and direction to other team members are –
- Greenock Health Centre
- Anne Jamieson – Senior Nurse
- Arlene Polet – Team Leader for HVs, Child Smile and School Nursing
- Port Glasgow Health Centre
- Fiona Miller – Team Leader for Health Visiting