There are a range of benefits to working for Inverclyde Council in addition to the attractive conditions of service.
As well as the conditions of service the Council offers a range of benefits to employees including:
- Attractive Pension schemes
- Buy and Bank Annual Leave Scheme
- Career development
- Childcare vouchers
- Credit Union
- Cycle to work scheme
- Family friendly and Work Life Balance policy
- Health and wellbeing support
- Learning and development opportunities
- Occupational health support
Further information on these schemes can be obtained from Human Resources or in the Employee Benefits Booklet, linked in the download section.
Employee Pension Information
Council employees are entitled to membership of either the Strathclyde Pension Fund (non-teaching employee) or the Scottish Public Pensions Agency (teaching employees).
The Scottish Teachers’ Superannuation Scheme (STSS) and the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) has long been a valuable part of the pay and reward package for employees/teachers working in local government.
For Inverclyde Council, the LGPS is administered by Strathclyde Pension Fund Office and Inverclyde Council currently contributes 19.3% of your pensionable pay to your pension account.
The STSS is administered by the Scottish Public Pension Agency and Inverclyde Council currently contributes 17.2% of your pensionable pay to your pension account.
Both these schemes can help secure your future by providing:
- a pension based on your pensionable pay
- a pension that keeps pace with inflation
- a pension for your surviving spouse or partner on your death
- a tax free lump sum in exchange for some of your pension
- death in service protection of three times your pensionable pay as a tax free lump sum
- an ill health pension paid from any age provided you have two years’ service but are permanently unable to work.
In order to fully understand how these pension schemes operate, please read the information provided in the links on the downloads section of the page.
Worklife Balance and Flexible Working
Everybody knows the old axiom that we should work to live, not live to work. Our staff often tell us that one of the most valued benefits of working for Inverclyde Council is our approach to a work/life balance. We recognise that employees want a career that will not demand excessive hours and enable them to spend quality time with their families and pursue other commitments.
Our standard working week is 37 hours, Monday to Friday. We start at 8.40am and finish at 5.00 pm, with the exception of Friday, when we finish early at 4pm.
However, as we are such a diverse organisation we are able to offer a wide range of flexible working patterns and hours to suit all.
Full details of the options available to employees can be found within the Council’s Family Friendly and Work Life Balance policy which can be downloaded from this page.
Page last updated: 28 October 2016