Housing Benefit

A guide to Housing Benefit

If you are working age and you intend making a new claim for Housing Benefit, from 23rd November 2016 you must now claim help towards your rent through Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions.

If you are eligible you need to apply for Universal Credit online.  You will find a link to the DWP website within External Links section of this page. For help available in Inverclyde with Universal Credit see Related links.

If you live in supported accommodation and received universal credit you can still claim housing benefit from Inverclyde Council to help with your rent.

Existing housing benefit claimants or and those of pension age should carry on claiming as normal. You’ll be told as soon as you need to do anything differently.


Page last updated: 7 December 2018