Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods Payment
Best Start Grant is 3 cash payments. Each payment can only be paid once per child.
You can get Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods:
- If your child is the right age for a payment
- Whether you’re in work or not, as long as you’re on certain payments or benefits
- As long as you’re the parent of a child, or the main person looking after a child
The 3 Best Start Grant payments are:
1. Pregnancy and Baby Payment
The Pregnancy and Baby Payment is a grant that has been launched by Social Security Scotland to help families with the cost of having children.
The grant, which can be applied for after the 24th week of pregnancy or before the child reaches the age of 6 months can be paid to the parents or carers of a baby.
The Pregnancy and Baby Payment provides eligible families with £600 on the birth of their first child and £300 on the birth of any subsequent children. If you have a multiple birth, you will receive one extra payment of £300, called the multiple birth supplement.
2. Early Learning Payment
The Best Start Grant Early Learning Payment is a new £250 payment to help with the costs of early leaning when a child is between 2 and 3 ½ years old.
You can spend this money on any of the things you need for your child at this age.
3. School Age Payment
The Best Start Grant School Age Payment is a new £250 payment to help with the costs of preparing for school when a child is first old enough to start Primary school.
Eligibility is based on the age of the child.
How to Apply:
You can apply by:
- completing an online application form on www.mygov.scot/benefits
- filling in a paper form - you can get a paper form on www.mygov.scot/benefits. You can also ask for a paper form with a prepaid envelope by phone
- phone, by calling Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222, Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.
For further information regarding the Best Start Grant please visit Social Security Scotland website. The link can be found under our "Other Websites" section of this page.