Disabled Banding Reduction

If there is someone, an adult or child, living in your home who is substantially and permanently disabled you could be entitled to a reduction.

Where certain conditions are met, the reduction is made by charging council tax at the valuation band below the one the property is in. For example, if your property is in band D, the council tax bill will be worked out as if it were in band C. This reduction also applies if your home is in band A.


The disabled person must live in the property at which the reduction is requested and be substantially and permanently disabled by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise (a GP or doctor is required to confirm this is the case).

The property must be the disabled person’s sole or main residence and must contain at least one of the following features:

  • Any other room which is not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet and which is mainly used by the disabled person and is required to meet their additional needs e.g. therapy or treatment room.
  • An extra bathroom or kitchen within the property which is required solely to meet the needs of the disabled person. A bathroom must contain a bath or shower facility.
  • Enough indoor floor space for the disabled person to use their wheelchair (to qualify a wheelchair must be actively be used within the property by the disabled person for day to day living.)

These features must be essential or of major importance to the well being of the disabled person.

How to apply:

To apply for the Disabled Banding Reduction, please download and complete the application form listed in the Documents section of this webpage. Please note it may be necessary for the Council to arrange to inspect your property as part of the application process.