Registering for primary school

Information on how to register a child for primary school

SCHOOL SESSION 2020 – 2021

Children who reach the age of five years between - 1st March 2020 and 28 February 2021, should be registered for primary school on Wednesday 15th and Thursday 16th January 2020.

Pupils whose surname begins with the initials A to L should register on Wednesday 15th January 2020 and pupils whose surname begins with the initials M to Z should be register on Thursday 16th January 2020.

Schools Primary 1

Parents must register their child in their chosen denomination or non-denominational catchment primary school, on the above dates as appropriate, between the hours of 1.30pm and 3.00pm.  You must register your child in the catchment denominational or non-denominational school even if you are considering a placing request for another school.  This includes Primary 1 Gaelic Medium Education at Whinhill Primary School.

The following documents are required for registration:-

  • Your child’s birth certificate

  • Your Council Tax demand notice for the current year, in your name

  • A utility bill (i.e. gas, electricity, landline telephone or broadband) in your name and dated within the last six months.

  • Your Tax Credit Award Notice       

Entry age

Your child will be admitted to school in August if their fifth birthday falls between 01 March of that same year and the last day of February of the following year.

School entry for children with a January/February birthday can be deferred for one year. If this is the case, then you should still attend for registration in the usual way but ask for an application form for deferred entry. The application form can be accessed at www.inverclyde.

If your child’s fifth birthday falls after the last day of February then you may wish to request an early entry to school. If this is the case then please contact Education Services on 01475 712850.

Registering your child for primary school

Entry to primary school is on a once-a-year basis at the start of the new session in August each year. Registration take places in January in the catchment school of your chosen denomination. You will need to bring with you your child’s original birth certificate and three types of evidence that provide proof of residence, for example:-

  • Your Council Tax demand notice for the current year in your name 
  • A utility bill (i.e. gas, electricity, landline telephone or broadband in your name and dated within the last 6 months).
  • Your Tax Credit Award Notice / Universal Credit Statement.

Adverts appear in early years centres, schools, the council website and the Greenock Telegraph in early January providing details on how to register your child.

You can register your child at only one school, either the denominational or non-denominational school in your catchment area. If you are unsure which school you should register at, please contact Education Services on 01475 712850.

Parents/carers should register at their chosen denomination or non-denominational school in their catchment area even if they intend to make a placing request for another school.

Although rare, it may be the case that a school is oversubscribed. If this is the case then pupils will be allocated places through the pupil placement panel.

Arrangements for pupils with additional support needs

Inverclyde Council has a policy on inclusion and equality which incorporates the assumption that all children will routinely be educated within their own community. Transitional arrangements for children with additional support needs, moving from nursery to primary or primary to secondary, are discussed at a child’s review meeting. Any child or young person with additional support needs who requires more specialist support will be discussed at Inverclyde’s Additional Support Needs Monitoring Forum. The Forum will make recommendations related to resources, support and necessary specialist placements.

Page last updated: 26 November 2019