Deferred entry to school
All children who are 4 years of age by 28/29 February start primary school in the August of that year. School entry for children with January/February birthdays can be deferred for 1 year.
If your child’s birthday is between the start of the school year in August and December you may also choose to defer entry to primary school for a year. A nursery place is not guaranteed for this additional year.
How to apply
- Children with January/February birthdays whose parents wish to defer entry, MUST register their child in their local catchment primary school and complete the application form.
August to December birthdays
- Children whose parents request deferred entry to primary school for any other reason, MUST register their child in their local catchment primary school, A nursery place is not guaranteed for this additional year. An application for the additional year in an Inverclyde Council or Funded Provider nursery must be submitted to Inverclyde Council’s ‘Additional Support Needs Monitoring Forum’ by the manager of the child’s nursery. This should include a personal statement from parent / carer which states the benefits to the child.
What should I do next?
Complete the application form and return it to the early years establishment your child currently attends.
What will happen next?
- You will receive an acknowledgement of your application
- All deferred entry applications returned by 1st February will be considered and a decision will be made before 31st March
- You will then be notified by letter within 21 days
Page last updated: 16 April 2019