How to sort your household waste
Blue Bin and Bag
The following materials can be recycled in your blue bin or bag:
- cardboard (including food and drinks cartons)
- steel and aluminium tins
- plastic bottles and food containers.
Please do not place the following items in your blue bin or bag:
- plastic bags
- plastic film
- residual household waste
- food waste
- garden waste
- polythene bags or cellophane wrappers
- glass bottles and jars.
The following materials can be recycled in your brown bin:
- grass cuttings
- shrub cuttings
- hedge trimmings
- flowers and plants
- leaves & twigs.
Please do not place the following items in your brown bin:
- cellophane type wrappers, cling film, plastic bags
- vegetable peelings, tea bags, food scraps (due to risk of compost becoming infected with e.g. salmonella, picked up from kitchen surfaces).
Please DO NOT place the following items in your brown bin (these items should be taken to the Recycling Centre at Pottery Street):
- garden tools
- garden equipment
- garden furniture
- rubble (please note that a car boot load of rubble can be deposited free of charge, any amount greater than this will incur a charge).
Seasonal brown bin collections take place between March and November.
Please present your brown bin beside your blue bin by 7am on your regular recycling collection day.
Brown bins without permits will not be collected.
Your GREEN CONTAINER can be used to recycle all types of food waste including spoiled packaged food. Food waste containers are uplifted every week on your regular collection day.
Your BLACK bin should be used for all the residual household waste which is not suitable for recycling.