How to sort your household waste
Blue Bin and Bag
The following materials can be recycled in your blue bin or bag:
- cardboard (including food and drinks cartons)
- steel and aluminium tins
- plastic bottles and food containers
Please do not place the following items in your blue bin:
- polythene bags or cellophane wrappers
- glass bottles and jars
- food waste
The following materials can be recycled in your brown bin:
- grass cuttings
- shrub cuttings
- hedge trimmings
- flowers and plants
- leaves & twigs
Seasonal brown bin collections take place between March and November.
The brown bin collection service has recommenced.
Please present your brown bin beside your blue bin by 7am on your regular recycling collection day.
Please do not place the following items in your brown bin:
- cellophane type wrappers, cling film, plastic bags
- vegetable peelings, tea bags, food scraps (due to risk of compost becoming infected with e.g. salmonella, picked up from kitchen surfaces)
Please DO NOT place the following items in your BROWN bin (these items should be taken to either of the Recycling Centres at Pottery Street or Kirn Drive. See Contacts on this page for more information on opening times and restrictions etc.):
- garden tools
- rubble (please note that a car boot load of rubble can be deposited free of charge, any amount greater than this will incur a charge)
- garden equipment
- garden furniture
Your GREEN CONTAINER can be used to recycle all types of food waste including spoiled packaged food. Food waste containers are uplifted every week on your regular collection day.
Your BLACK bin should be used for all the residual household waste which is not suitable for recycling.
Page last updated: 15 March 2019