Deposit Guarantee Scheme
Deposit Guarantee Scheme (DGS) is designed to support people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness access accommodation in the private rented sector, by guaranteeing a deposit where the applicant does not have sufficient funds to cover the cost. The scheme provides a written bond ‘guarantee’ equivalent to the value of the deposit on the property, up to maximum of £650, to the private landlord instead of providing cash deposit upfront.
The Deposit Guarantee Scheme covers the first 12 months of the tenancy, which gives the applicant a chance to save a cash deposit to give to the landlord at the end of 12 months Deposit Guarantee scheme period.
Benefits for Landlords
- Reliable contact and support for both Landlord and applicant throughout the course of the scheme
- Inspection of property, photographic inventory taken of the contents before anyone moves in
Benefit for Applicants
- The DGS will assist the applicant to move into a property of their choosing in the private rented sector
- The scheme provides a guarantee to the landlord rather than upfront cash for people who have no or limited available funds to set up a tenancy
- Individual support is available to the applicant over the course of the Scheme
For further information or advice, please contact Housing Options Team:
98 Dalrymple Street,
Telephone: 01475 715880