Self-Isolation Support Grant

The service is receiving higher than normal levels of enquiries, emails, calls and applications for Self-Isolation Support Grants and so responses may be delayed for which we apologise. Please be assured that we are doing our utmost to provide as near a normal service as we can and appreciate your patience.  


Changes to the national stay at home guidance, from the 1 May 2022 restricts the Self-Isolation Support grant to those who have tested positive for coronavirus on a PCR test; or are the parent or primary carer of a child or adult who needs to self-isolate as a result of positive PCR test result; and will experience a loss of earnings as a result of their requirement to stay at home. Contacts are no longer eligible for assistance from this date.

From 1 May 2022, the grant award level is £225.00 to reflect the shorter stay at home requirements. Please note that a maximum of 3 awards can be made in a 12-month period from this date.

The Self-Isolation Support Grant is considered taxable income. You will not pay National Insurance contributions on the payment.


Step 1: Eligibility

To find out if you are eligible for the Self-Isolation Support Grant please use the Scottish Government Eligibility Checker found in the ‘Other Website’ section to the right or at the end of this page.

If you are likely to qualify for the grant, you will be taken to a booking form to get a PCR test or report an existing test result.

It is important to note that a lateral flow positive result does not count for the purposes of the grant. If you have had a positive lateral flow test and wish to apply for a grant you must arrange for a PCR test to confirm your result.

Step 2: How to apply for the Grant

After you have a positive PCR test result, apply online using the ‘Self Isolation Support Grant Online Application Form’ found in the Other Websites section of this page.

Applications can be made at any point during the 28 calendar days from the day you are notified to self-isolate.

Applications may be accepted out with this timescale in exceptional circumstances where factors beyond the persons control mean that they were unable to apply or unable to demonstrate they were eligible within that period.

If you are unable to use the online form, or if your requirement to isolate was received prior to 1 May 2022, an application can be submitted via telephone by calling 01475 714444 with lines available Monday to Friday from 9am to 3pm. Applications can take around 15 minutes to complete.


By proceeding with an application you are agreeing that you understand and accept the declaration & privacy statements which can be found in the documents section on the right of this page.


Evidence Requirements

Applicants will be required to provide evidence in support of their request:

  • A bank statement confirming the account details provided in the application including sort code, account number and name on account. Digital Banking screenshots are also acceptable.
  • Proof of employment/earnings prior to isolation. For those paid monthly or 4 weekly the most recent wage prior to isolation should be provided. For those paid weekly or fortnightly please provide the relevant wage slips for the month immediately prior to isolation. If self-employed, please provide evidence of self-assessment returns, or trading income for the month immediately prior to isolation.
  • Your test and protect notification including reference number if available.

Please note that verification checks will be carried out with appropriate agencies in support of the application.