Food premises registration

Licence summary

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact your local authority.

Regulation Summary

See the External Links section on this page for the regulation summary.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes, this is a registration rather than a licensing process.

Apply online

Please use the 'Register a food business establishment' link in the External Links section on this page.

Trade Associations

See the External Links section on this page for links to the trade associations.