Claim Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is a means tested entitlement available to people who are responsible for paying Council Tax. 

The amount of Council Tax Reduction you receive depends on the following:

  • The amount of money coming into your household
  • Any savings you (and your partner) have
  • Your Council Tax liability

If you are also liable to pay rent, you may also apply for help with your Housing Costs; you can do this by claiming either Housing Benefit or Universal Credit depending on your age and where you live.

The maximum Council Tax Reduction that can be awarded is 100% of your Council Tax charge but water and sewerage costs are not included in this;  you will be liable to pay these yourself.

How do I apply?

To claim Council Tax Reduction, you must:

  • be liable to pay the Council Tax for the property
  • you must live in the property you are applying for

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction by:

  • calling 0800 013 1375; or
  • completing the application form relevant to your circumstances – the application forms can be found within the “Documents” section of this page

It is important that you return your application form to Inverclyde Council as soon as you can to make sure you do not miss out on any assistance you may be entitled to.