Universal Credit


Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment to help with your living costs and provides support if you are working and on a low income, looking for work or unable to work.

The following benefits and tax credits are ending and being replaced by Universal Credit, under a single monthly payment:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

From April 2024, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is writing to some people who receive these benefits to let them know that they need to claim Universal Credit instead.

This letter - called a Migration Notice – explains what you need to do and when. It also provides information on the help available to continue receiving support from the government.

See Other Websites to find out when you are likely to be asked to apply for Universal Credit. 

It is important that you do not do anything until you receive your letter. You will not be moved automatically. Once you’ve received your Universal Credit Migration Notice letter, you’ll need to make a claim for Universal Credit to continue to get financial support. There will be a deadline in your letter. This is 3 months from the date the letter was sent out.

Your current benefits will end as soon as you submit your claim for Universal Credit and you will not be able to go back to your existing benefit once you have claimed.

If you want some help with your Universal Credit application or you’re concerned about managing your income until you receive your first Universal Credit payment, see Other Websites for the types of support available.


How to claim Universal Credit

If you do not currently receive benefits and you need to claim, applications to Universal Credit must be made online. You can find the link to apply for Universal Credit within the other websites section of this page. To apply for Universal Credit you must have a bank account and an email address.

Remember to include details of your rent when you claim Universal Credit so that your housing costs are included in your claim.

You will be given an online account to manage known as a journal which you will be advised by DWP how and when to access


Council Tax Reduction

Your claim for Universal Credit does NOT include any council tax reduction you may be entitled to.

Once you have made a claim for Universal Credit, you must make a separate claim to Inverclyde Council for your council tax reduction.

A shortened application form for Council Tax Reduction for Universal Credit claimants can be found within the documents section of this page.